Posts tagged Minha Casa Minha Vida
The eviction last Friday, April 10, saw over 8,000 people forcibly removed from the disused Telerj (now known as Oi) site, with 21 people injured, 18 arrested and four unconfirmed dead. Reports suggest the 4.30am eviction was carried out with little respect for the residents: Military Police pushed residents down the stairs, used pepper spray and tear gas unnecessarily and did not allow families to collect their possessions. On Friday evening, 500 of those evicted settled in an open-air public space outside the City government building on Avenida Presidente Vargas, one of the principal avenues in the city’s downtown.
Families have been camping More >
For the original by Eliano Félix in Portuguese for O Cidadão click here.
More than 30 families are living in inhuman conditions with fear of eviction in Maré.
Situated in Complexo da Maré between Vila do Pinheiro and Morro do Timbau, on the side of the Ilha do Fundão access bridge, is a small favela called Mac Laren, named after the small dockyard that used to operate there. For over ten years, more than 30 families have lived here in a degrading and dehumanizing reality. For most people it is difficult to imagine that there are still people living in wooden huts, particularly More >
On Saturday, March 22, Vila Autódromo experienced what witnesses refer to as the City’s “divide and conquer” strategy: coercive tactics designed to create discord in the community. An injunction filed by the Public Defender’s office was approved by Chief Judge Tereza de Andrade Castro Neves on Friday, March 21, stopping demolitions in the community until the City’s plans for the area have been presented. On Saturday, City officials including Tiago Mohamed, the sub-mayor of Barra da Tijuca, visited Vila Autódromo to inform the seven families prepared to leave for Parque Carioca apartments that day that they could not receive the new apartments, More >
More than 250 families are reported to have been left homeless after demolitions at the Bairro 13 occupation in Santo Cristo in of Rio de Janeiro. Residents report that of approximately 500 families who were removed from the region, only around 110 have been placed into the Minha Casa, Minha Vida (MCMV) program, either having received a house or social rent to hold their place in the program, so far. In breach of the law, residents were not given advanced warning when evictions began on February 26. Those who weren’t placed into the MCMV program were simply given unsigned, unofficial photocopies of documents More >
Standing in the door to her home in the heart of Indiana, a small low-lying favela at the foot of Morro do Borel in Tijuca, North Zone, 82 year old Dona Maria Alves dos Santos explains that the threat of eviction is nothing new to her. She says, “Ever since I came here they’ve said [the community] is going to be removed, but it’s never happened.” A resident of Indiana since the community’s beginnings 50 years ago, she tells of how she expanded her neatly kept house over the years and raised her eight children and grandchildren in the favela. “I More >